Saturday, January 25, 2014

BARBIE: A Fashion Icon Since 1959


When Ruth Handler, the maker of Barbie, introduced the doll in March 1959 she was an instant hit! Little girls all over the world wanted to have a doll that wore all the fashionable outfits of that decade. Since Barbie's early beginnings she's always been impeccably dressed. I have included a lot of pictures so please scroll down to read the rest of the blog! :) Thanks!

Christmas 2010 Barbie (I have this Christmas ornament)
One of the original Barbie's. Shes ready for a day at the beach! (I have this Christmas ornament too)

Barbie

Grace Kelly in her iconic wedding gown. Barbie makers made Barbie a dress too! How beautiful is this??

Karl Lagerfeld's designs seen on Barbie and her cute boyfriend Ken.

Lilly Pulitzer Barbie and Kelly doll. Made in 2005.
When I was a little girl and my grandmother, Mimi, came to visit she would always take my brothers and I to pick out one toy. My three brothers would always pick out a super hero or as they called them, "man man's." I on the other hand would always want a Barbie Doll. My mom would always try and get me to pick out a baby doll (Because I had so many Barbie Dolls already) and while I loved baby dolls there was just something about Barbie that captured me. Seeing that full fledged pink Barbie aisle made me so overjoyed and still does to this day! From an early age I can remember loving Barbie's clothes and loving everything about her. I had way to many Barbie Dolls and I of course had all of her accessories including her dream house. I mean the world's most fashionable doll has to have a fabulous place to live! But anyway....

Barbie's clothing recently in the past 10 years has become luxuriant. Not only do her outfits change each decade and become even more fashionable and complex but her clothes have become more expensive. Christian Louboutin has created Barbie her own line of heels with that beautiful and striking red sole. Barbie's feet were literally made for heels so she's the perfect doll for Louboutin to make a shoe line for. Not only has Christian Louboutin dressed Barbie but Lilly Pulitzer has as well. Lilly has dressed Barbie in one of her signature preppy prints! To name a few more designers that have gotten their hands on Barbie, are the creators of Juicy Couture and Karl Lagerfeld. Even celebrities like, Kim Kardashian, Elizabeth Taylor, Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn and even Marilyn Monroe have all dressed Barbie, in a sense that is. All of these celebrities are considered by most people to be fashion icons. It only makes sense that they would want to dress Barbie in their clothing line or simply design their favorite or iconic and most notable outfit for Barbie to wear. 

While the Barbie empire as certainly exploded in the past 50 years, Barbie now is attracting adult buyers because of her prized and expensive wardrobes. While she's still seen as a toy for many girls all over the world, she is a collectors item for many adult woman (Even men, yeah you would be surprised y'all). If you are a Barbie lover you really never out grow your favorite childhood toy. As a little girl her pretty clothes attracted me and I always had my Barbie's look perfect! But now that I'm older I sometimes want to go buy the collector Barbie's because of her amazing wardrobe! Ruth Handler really did create the worlds most known and loved (never aging) fashion icon. She's been the best dressed since 1959 and she's not finished yet!
Barbie reading her fashion magazine. She's got to keep up with the latest trends.






2 comments:

  1. To think that many people considered Barbie 'risque' when she first hit the scene! I loved my Barbies too and always wanted my mother to design clothes for them. I also wish I had been more diligent about buying the 'historical' Barbies while I had the chance. She is definitely THE fashion icon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooo oooo oooo that is so romantic

    ReplyDelete